Site Logo

Patient questions and answers

Our guest expert will directly answer your question. However, you should consult your own doctors rather than relying on the health information provided on this website or advise provided through this feature.

Ask a question

    Please note that our guest expert will not directly answer your question. All the questions we answer through this feature will be answered and posted on the News section of our site.

    Individuals with medical illnesses should consult their own doctors rather than relying on the health information provided on this website or asking question through this feature.

    • Medical Treatment
    • Symptom
    • Systemic Lupus Erythematosus

    I am a SLE with skin being the presenting problem. Can Aspirin prevent the heart disease arising from vasculitis ?

    Aspirin may have a role in the prevention of coronary heart disease in patients with SLE. Its effect is mainly on the anti-platelet function i.e. prevention of blood clot formation on main blood vessels in the heart.
    However, it is only recommended to use aspirin in patients with underlying high cardiovascular risk profile such as smoker, high lipid level, Diabetes Mellitus, poorly controlled SLE, long term use of steroid etc. It is essential to consult your doctor for assessment before making the decision of the use of aspirin.

    • Check Up
    • Diet
    • Gout
    • Symptom

    Why am I so sensitive/frequent(7 to 10 days) getting gout attacks now even when my uric acid level is low below 250. I barely eat meats and my diet is mainly vegetables, fruits, bread, salmon, boiled eggs but I am still getting frequent gout attacks. I wasn't getting gout this frequent before my major 5 months long gout attack last year. Since then I was getting gout attacks every 4 to 5 days for 3 to 4 months, presently I am getting gout attacks between 7 to 10 days. How are my liver/kidney functioning, will I eventually face kidney/liver problems(failure/renal disease, liver disease)? It's been over a year since my 5 month long gout attack both my feet are still stiff/sore, my knees are stiff/sometimes burn. When I stand for more than 15 to 20 mins my feet start to ache, the pain would propagate up my legs. when I walk for a mile or more my feet aches and the pain propagate up my legs. I get so tired/exhaustion at the end of the day now. Are my nerve/tendon/joint in both my feet damaged or something?

    I would like to reassure you that your liver and renal function tests are all normal. It is quite unusual that you got frequent "gouty attacks" despite of having an absolutely normal urate level. Indeed, your blood urate level is in the low normal level. Your description of symptom of lower legs are not too typical of gouty attack such as stiffness or propagation of sore/pain as well as tiredness or exhausation at the end of day. Gouty attack usually means rapid onset of pain, swelling, mild erythema as well increase in temperature i.e. warmth over a joint. It usually involves joints over big toe, feet or ankle first. It may progress to involve other joint such as knee or even in upper limbs in subsequent attack.

    I suggest you to seek further medical consultation to look for other conditions which may better explain for your symptom and discomfort.

    • Medical Treatment
    • Symptom

    My son at age 24 is diagnosed Behchets' Syndrome and his symtom has been lasting for some years. Currently he is residing in Canada and receiving Colcichine for 1 year. Doctors currently is not changing medication but Colchichine is fairly mild for treatment. Is there any other alternative medication/treatment, or my son returns to HK for treatment. Thank You.

    Patient suffers from Behcet's disease may have a different kind of symptoms. The choice of medication depends on what kind of symptoms the patient is having.
    Colchicine is usually given for patient with oral ulcer or some kind of skin problems. If it is not helpful, other medications are available such as steroid treatment but side effect is one of the concern. Your son is more appropiate to be seen by a specialist for further assessment. I am sure that specialist would be available both in Canada and Hong Kong.

    John Doe